March 17, 2020
Dear Winchester Families:
As we face uncertain times in the coming days, I am grateful for your support and understanding as we work to connect with students and families. Please know how deeply we we care about each student and how very hard staff members are working to engage, plan, and communicate. Forgive us for the barrage of e-mail you have seen/will see. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
We are excited to launch our distance/home learning efforts tomorrow. Here are some guidelines:
- Lots of amazing learning will happen and teachers will make great efforts to connect with students to provide emotional support, but this learning can not take the place of regular education due to civil rights and equitable access guidance from the Office Of Civil Rights (OCR).
- Many of our students, families, and educators will be under intense pressure and anxiety in the coming days and weeks as more people fall ill. We will try to work around this as much as possible, but do not wish to add more stress and pressure in uncertain times.
- While we have provided devices and assisted with Internet access for a few families in need, not all students will have the same level of support/supervision at home. Lack of equity means grading/accountability measures for distance learning are unfair and could be harmful.
- Depending on your child's age, grade level, and current courses, we expect that there will be several hours of choice/suggested learning options for students each day. Please communicate directly with principals and teachers with concerns. Know that if we do not hear from your child(ren) regularly, we will reach out to parents to offer help.
- We plan to ask for family and educator feedback in a week. I know you will continue to support us as we explore, learn, and grow together. Stay tuned for an FAQ from the district.
The central clearing house for COVID-19 information is the town website; https://www.winchester.us/566/COVID-19. I will tweet and update the district Facebook page daily. You can see the feeds to the left if you just want to view.
As always, follow me on Twitter (@JudithEvans1) or our Facebook page (@winchester.ma.publicschools) for photos and notices.
Judith A. Evans, Ed.D.