Please click here to share your thoughts on the proposed change in start/end times: School Start Time Comments
or e-mail the study committee directly at email@example.com.
Members of the School Start Time Study Committee, the superintendent, and/or school committee members will meet with parent groups in January 2018 to provide an update and answer questions:
Lynch School 1/17 7 p.m.
Lincoln School 1/18 at 8:30 a.m.
Muraco School 1/18 7 p.m.
Vinson-Owen School 1/22 8 a.m.
McCall Middle School 1/23 9:00 a.m.
Ambrose School 1/24 8:45 a.m.
Winchester High School 1/24 7:00 p.m.
Winchester Public Schools
School Start Time Study Committee
The research on secondary school start times is clear and compelling, and the district has convened a School Start Time Study Committee to review this topic and make a recommendation to the school committee for possible changes to our school start times for 2018-2019.
Here are some important facts about secondary school start times:
- The American Academy of Pediatrics, The Centers for Disease Control, and the American Medical Association all support middle and high school start times after 8:30 a.m.
- The twelve members of the Middlesex League Superintendents' group last year agreed to support later secondary start times and ensure limited impact on athletics.
- The Brookings Institute economists reported that improved school performance as a result of later start times has significant and lasting economic benefits.
- Teens with later school start times get more sleep, are sleeping at the right time, and are more awake and alert for learning.
- Adequate sleep improves learning, memory, mood, and performance in school, sports, and other activities.
- Districts with later start times reported less depression among students.
The committee will review research, conduct surveys, hold public forum(s), identify concerns, and develop a recommendation and implementation plan for school committee consideration by 2/1/18.
School Start Time Study Group Meeting Dates
October 18, 2017 3 to 4:30 p.m.
November 1, 2017 6 to 7:30 p.m.
November 15, 2017 3 to 4:30 p.m.
December 7, 2017 6 to 7:30 p.m.
January 4, 2018 3 to 4:30 p.m.
January 30, 2018 7 p.m. (School Committee Presentation)